Tom Morello appeared on the new episode of Lars Ulrich’s Apple Beats 1 podcast “It’s Electric”. He discussed his debut solo album, The Atlas Underground. An all-star affair, Morello, best known for Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave and Prophets Of Rage worked with GZA, Gary Clark Jr., K. Flay, Pretty Lights, Portugal. The Man, Whethan, Marcus Mumford, Rise Against’s Tim McIlrath, Carl Restivo, Nico Stadi, Leikeli47 and Herobust on the album. Watch the interview below.
Morello told Ulrich:
“I wanted to make a record that was the [Jimi] Hendrix of now, guitar playing that is outside of the norm and is extraordinary,” creating “radio songs” that “connected with a mass audience” and fashioning a “new genre of music.”
The Atlas Underground is due out October 12 through Mom + Pop Music.
“The riffs and the beats led the way, but the extraordinary talents of the collaborators set my creativity into uncharted territory.
“I’ve been devoted both musically and as an activist to fighting injustice at every turn,” he added. “Amid this heightened sense of impending doom, it’s now time to rally the troops in a last-ditch effort to save the planet, and our artistic souls. By challenging the boundaries of what music is and has sounded like before, you can open people’s eyes to changing the status quo in society.”
Morello has shared a pair of new songs: ‘We Don’t Need You’ (featuring Vic Mensa) and the Knife Party-assisted ‘Battle Sirens’.
The Atlas Underground track listing:
01. Battle Sirens (feat. Knife Party)
02. Rabbit’s Revenge (feat. Bassnectar, Big Boi, Killer Mike)
03. Every Step That I Take (feat. Portugal. The Man, Whethan)
04. We Don’t Need You (feat. Vic Mensa)
05. Find Another Way (feat. Marcus Mumford)
06. How Long (feat. Steve Aoki, Rise Against’s Tim McIlrath)
07. Lucky One (feat. K. Flay)
08. One Nation (feat. Pretty Lights)
09. Vigilante Nocturno (feat. Carl Restivo)
10. Where It’s At Ain’t What It Is (feat. Gary Clark Jr., Nico Stadi)
11. Roadrunner (feat. Leikeli47)
12. Lead Poisoning (feat. GZA, RZA, Herobust)