Vancouver punk rockers Needs is streaming “We Forgot The Records To Our Record Release Show”, off their upcoming self titled debut album, due May 12, 2015 via File Under: Music (Slam Dunk, Dan Mangan, Anchoress), here and here.
The resulting record, mastered by Paul Gold at Salt Mastering (Viet Cong, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear), is a presentation of cohesive chaos; the bass and drums set you in your place while the guitars have an angular chat around you. When Orr’s emotionally charged call to arms, apathy or caring come in it’s the tie that binds. Together they take the listener on a 10-song journey through suburban doldrums, urban renewal, the idiocy of punk music, a smoke break, decay and despair. “But there’s a cleanliness to the destruction,” Orr says. Indeed the concluding lyrics provide a practical reason for it – “Give up. So we can begin.” It certainly seems to have worked for NEEDS on their debut LP.
1. Rescue Don
2. Walk, Cycle or Take Transit Like Jehu
3. The Only Good Condo is a Dead Condo
4. Clowns to the Left Of Me, Dzhokhars to the Right
5. Nag Champion (Smoke Break)
7. We Forgot The Records to our Record Release Show
8. The Accursed Share
9. We Don’t Know Why We Are Protesting is Why We Are Protesting
10. Did You Just Call Me Lord Fuckhead?